If it hasn’t already become super clear, I fucking love making lists. All rankings subject to change, obviously, because we still have six more months of media to go.
Favorite shows that aired in 2015:
- Penny Dreadful (season 2)
- Hannibal (season 3)
- Marvel’s Agent Carter
- Jane the Virgin
- Mad Men (season 7b)
- The Americans (season 3)
- Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, which has such a cool premise and setting and I like it a lot but I don’t necessarily love it.
- The Flash, which is super fun, but I mean, it’s clearly not on the same level as those ten.
Favorite other shows watched in 2015:
- Peaky Blinders
- The 100
- Gilmore Girls (season 4)
- North & South, which is flawed as hell, but holy shit, Richard Armitage’s piercing stare and purposeful gait and Northern accent.
Favorite movies that came out in 2015:
- Mad Max: Fury Road
- Ex Machina
- Kumiko the Treasure Hunter
Favorite non-recent movies watched in 2015:
- A Single Man
- Layer Cake
Favorite books read in 2015:
- Gone Girl, Gillian Flynn
- The House of Mirth, Edith Wharton
- JPod, Douglas Coupland
- A Visit from the Goon Squad, Jennifer Egan
- Persuasion, Jane Austen
- The Girls at the Kingfisher Club, Genevieve Valentine
- Porno, Irvine Welsh
- Female Friends, Fay Weldon
Significant musical “discoveries”1:
- ADAM ANT (omg Adam Ant)
- And also The Fratellis and ABBA, I guess.
Favorite comics that ran in 2015:
- The Unbeatable Squirrel Giri
- The Wicked + The Divine
- Ms. Marvel
- Howard the Duck
- Silver Surfer
1 Obviously none of these are new or obscure, but still Revelatory to me.