Shows I kept current with: 8 out of 10 Cats Does Countdown, Atlanta, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, High Maintenance, Insecure, Luke Cage, Mock the Week, Mr. Robot, Shameless, The Get Down, The Good Place, The Graham Norton Show, The Great British Bake Off, Victoria, You’re the Worst
Non-current shows watched: Middlemarch (episodes 1-2), Only Connect (series 11, episodes 1-24), Shirobako (episodes 1-9)
Pilots tried: Free! Iwatobi Swim Club, Hozuki no Reitetsu
Plus just like a shitload of Zucchero.
Vero fucking cuoio.
- Superior to the lemon drizzle cake recipe used in August, for those keeping score.
- Added 1/4 cup chopped basil to the cake and let some basil leaves sit in the lemon juice used for the drizzle in the hope that they would infuse it with flavor; unclear if the latter worked or if all of the basil flavor in the finished product was from the batter.
- Also used 9×9 inch pan instead of the size specified—set oven to 325 and baked for ~35 minutes
- Messy, but decent.
- Erewhon, Samuel Butler
- Red Dragon, Thomas Harris
- Language of Flowers, Kate Greenaway
The E.M. Forster/Bob Buckingham relationship is fascinating and apparently there is some book (which we acquired in October but have not yet read) that features a fictionalized version of it. Hopefully, it will not be as disappointing as Damon Galgut’s Arctic Summer. Anyway, this is by the author of the novel, so of course it’s going to have a sort of “please buy my book” agenda; nonetheless, some interesting information that cannot be found on Wikipedia.
Perhaps rubbing salt in the wound at this point, but man, this was very heartwarming wrt The Great British Bake Off:
“What you see on the screen is how it is,” Sue says. “If you are talking about a hierarchy, the bakers are at the top. Nobody is out to catch them out, but if we see them crying or something, Mel and I will go over there and put our coats over them or swear a lot because we know then that the film won’t be able to be used.”
(Full article here)