Shows I kept current with: 8 out of 10 Cats, 8 out of 10 Cats Does Countdown, Animal Kingdom, Game of Thrones, Ill Behaviour, Orphan Black, People of Earth, Playing House, Preacher, Top of the Lake: China Girl
Non-current shows watched: Lucifer
Pilots tried: London Irish
Stand-up specials: Ali Wong: Baby Cobra, Kevin Bridges: A Whole Different Story, Aditi Mittal: Things They Wouldn’t Let Me Say, Hasan Minhaj: Homecoming King
Other: Tour de Pharmacy
A few things of note:
- Lucifer is gloriously dumb and I love it.
- Ill Behaviour: black comedy with a solid, super specific premise and only three episodes, so yes, good.
- I’ve been following the weekly reviews and comments at the Guardian, and wow, people really hated this season of Top of the Lake. I watched it all at once when it was released and wasn’t really expecting that amount of vitriol. At least while I was in the binge-watching zone it was super compelling and emotionally affecting (and also temporarily filled me with the sense that oh god, all men are terrible). Looking back on it–sure, there are some super dumb aspects to the plot and not all of the relationships feel organic; there’s definitely a disconnect between what we’re told about Robin and Miranda’s relationship and what we’re shown, the whole thing with Johnno, the level of coincidence required for the plot to work, etc. But then again, a lot of the things nitpickers point out as bad writing in detective shows (or maybe just fiction in general) tend to be cases where characters make dumb choices/don’t act according to their best interests, which I don’t think is a problem as long as they’re believably dumb choices given everything we know about the characters and their psyches, since actual humans don’t always behave “optimally,” you know? I think in the macro sense, at least, Top of the Lake: China Girl is super effective, and if some of the details don’t hold up to intense scrutiny, well, it still doesn’t take away too much from that overall effect.
Plus these songs that are, for whatever reason, not on Spotify:
Also two black sleeveless blouses from H&M for boring, practical work purposes.
- 7/1: Old-Fashioned Apple Cake with Brown Sugar Frosting
- The cake itself is kind of whatever, but that frosting is divine
- 7/8: Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins
- 7/15: Lemon Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 7/22: Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Used whole wheat flour, one zucchini, combination of Ghirardelli milk chocolate and white chocolate chips, no walnuts (obvs)
- 7/30: More zucchini chocolate chip muffins from same recipe as above