Current shows: A.P. Bio, Arrested Development, A Very English Scandal, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Champions, Dear White People, Good Girls, Imposters, Killing Eve, Patrick Melrose, Riverdale, Schitt’s Creek, Taskmaster (UK), Taskmaster (US), The Americans, The Graham Norton Show, The Handmaid’s Tale, Travel Man
Pilots tried: Alex, Inc., Vida
Other: John Mulaney: Kid Gorgeous; Oh, Hello on Broadway; Hari Kondabolu: Warn Your Relatives; Joe Lycett: That’s the Way, A-Ha, A-Ha, Joe Lycett; Ali Wong: Hard-Knock Wife
Men with Brooms (2002)
This is the most Canadian movie in existence. (As the title maybe suggests, it’s a comedy about curling?)
Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)
So mediocre, Jesus. Like, I don’t think there was anything aggressively bad about it–although there were a few lingering shots and close-ups that were baffling in the way that they seemed pretty random and pointless–but at the same time, I was not invested in anything that was going on at any point. Give Emilia Clarke more rom-coms, because her charms are wasted on this sort of Stoic Female Lead character!
Psycho Killers (Talking Heads tribute band) @ Gypsy Sally’s, May 5
- First set = the entirety of Speaking in Tongues, second set = assorted greatest hits (“Flowers”, “Psycho Killer”, “Life During Wartime”, “Take Me to the River”, etc.–good shit)
- Saturday night + Cinco de Mayo + NHL playoffs = what an audience
- lol @ the moment when it became v clear among the audience that the Caps won the game, to the point where the band actually asked about it between songs
- People are very enthusiastic about the Talking Heads, which like I guess I knew, but still semi-surprised at the energetic dancing from these preppy youths (Georgetown…) and hockey jerseyed bros
- 2 middle-aged dudes on the verge of getting into a barfight because one bumped into the other’s wife while dancing too enthusiastically and caused her to spill her drink (but if you’re going to get upset about that sort of thing, you’re probably too old to go to a general admission concert)
- Shoutout to the dude in the tie-dyed Grateful Dead shirt and Life During Wartime baseball cap, seemingly there by himself (which…me too, so no judgment there), dancing his little stoner heart out. He was probably the most Into It of anyone in the audience.
- Also shoutout to the old long white-haired duded with a poker-themed polo shirt and his equally old white-haired wife, standing right in front of the stage
The Fratellis @ 9:30 Club, May 19
- Like obviously I was into The Fratellis or I wouldn’t have gone to their concert in the first place, but I don’t think I realized how into The Fratellis I was until this night. Every song in the setlist was just fucking gold, you know?
- The opener: Blood Red Shoes. They were…fine?
Pastiera Muffin Trial 1 (May 6)
Used this recipe as a base, with the following changes:
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (instead of 2)
- 1 tbsp orange blossom water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- no turbinado sugar
Then dipped in a glaze–3 tbsp butter, 1 cup confectioners sugar, 1 tbsp orange blossom water, 2 tbsp lemon juice
I wanted to make these with candied fruit, but apparently that can’t be found in stores in May (at least in the US…I tried Target, Harris Teeter, Giant, and Italian specialty store…didn’t try World Market though). So I made 1/3 of the batch with white chocolate chips, 1/3 with dried cranberries, and 1/3 plain–none of these were a satisfactory replacement for canditi.
Pastiera Muffin Trial 2 (May 13)
Same as trial 1, but:
- 2 tbsp orange blossom water, no lemon juice
- ~4 oz candied citron (ended up ordering from Amazon, but it was KEY)
- Glaze–2 tbsp milk, 1 tbsp orange blossom water, 1 cup confectioners sugar
- I think this might have been too much orange blossom water
Millionaire’s Shortbread (May 28)
This recipe is concerningly easy to make
- Man, this review makes me want to like the new Arctic Monkeys album a lot more than I actually do